- View full picture
Explore Carson City’s new attraction at V&T Railway Eastgate Depot, Rail Bikes. These “Made in America” rail bikes are innovative and easy to pedal. Individuals, families or groups of friends can easily access the breathtaking beauty of Carson River Canyon and with comfort.
The seats slide out easily and the “pedal assist” motors make the 2% gradient out of the canyon a cinch! People of all ages can enjoy a scenic ride through the beautiful canyon while socially distancing and exercising.
The first trips start on August 4 and start at the V&T Railway Eastgate Depot, 4650 Eastgate Siding Road (take Hwy 50 to Flint Road.)
WHAT TO EXPECT: CARSON RIVER CANYON TRACK
– At the depot, passengers buy their ticket and queue to board the vélorail.
– A team member will greet the riders and provide a Covid-19 / health briefing and instructions on the safe use of the rail bike.
– A member of the team will communicate to the riders what is expected of them and prepare them for the descent and return.
– Lowering: Riders begin a smooth descent of the canyon, pedaling lightly together. A brake allows them to glide smoothly along the tracks, following a guide bike.
– Intermission-Destination: Upon reaching the bottom of the canyon, cyclists exit the rail bike to stretch out and enjoy a free water / snack provided by V&T, take in the views, and take photos. A member of the Freedom Rail team will give a brief presentation on the mining boom and the Canyon’s rich history. During this break, the other members of the team will tour the rail bike with a plate provided by the V&T in order to prepare for the return trip to the canyon.
– Climb the Canyon: Cyclists can activate the “pedal assist” motors to facilitate the journey back through the canyon to the depot. Along the way, cyclists can take photos from various vantage points, taking in the grandeur of the Canyon. Once at the depot, passengers can purchase souvenirs from our gift shop. The bikes are disinfected for the next outing.
– Return to Depot / shop: team members will work diligently and efficiently to ensure smooth operation.
Go here to purchase tickets and learn more about the V&T Railway.