Job: Bike Guide / Store Staff – Cycle Portland Bike Tours and Rentals
Bike guide / shop staff
Company / Organization
Cycle Portland Bike Tours and Rentals
Are you passionate about cycling? If you’re looking for an engaging job at a small downtown Portland bike shop guiding bike tours, look no further!
We are Cycle Portland Bike Tours and Rentals, a small, family-owned cornerstone of the Portland cycling community. Cycle Portland strives to support and inspire visiting cyclists and local commuters through quality repairs, guided bike tours and affordable, well-maintained bike rentals.
We are looking to add tour guides interested in showcasing the city we love. As part of our small team, you’ll have the opportunity to advise travelers on your favorite local attractions and hotspots, guide guests around the city on our easy-going bike tours, and give a helping hand. hand at our full-service bike shop.
This position is suitable for people who are goal-oriented and like to share their knowledge and experience with others. Our Tour Guides interact directly with the public and are comfortable providing directions, route assistance, and helping clients plan their visit to Portland.
Although primarily focused on tour guiding, this position is multidisciplinary and encompasses guiding up to two tours per day (2-5 hours of outdoor time, rain or shine) during our Foodie, Brewery or City bike tours. During your time at the shop, you will help guide customers through our bike rental process, answer questions about the products and services we offer, and keep the shop running smoothly. You will also have the opportunity to take a deep dive into our city’s history of the past, present and future as we strive to keep our tours engaging, fun and informative.
Part-time and full-time positions available, seasonal with the possibility of staying year-round. Semi-flexible hours; 20-35 hours/week. Must be available to work weekends.
$14-16/hr from (plus tip!) DOE
Free use of rentals, discounts on quality bike products and shop services.
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• Must obtain First Aid/CPR within 30 days of hire
• Must know or be willing to learn how to fix a flat tire.
• Ability to regularly lift bicycles and other objects up to 55 pounds, but reasonable accommodations can be made for qualified candidates
• Must be LGBTQ friendly. We encourage POC, trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, women and marginalized groups to apply.
Knowledge and skills in the following areas are preferred (but not required) and represent key strengths for this position:
• Genuine desire to work with and listen to the public both as a tour guide and as part of our store staff to meet customers where they are with their needs
• Excellent public speaking skills, comfortable working with and projecting in front of an audience of up to 12 people at a time
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Curiosity! We love discovering Portland and sharing that passion with others as the stories of our city and region evolve.
• Ability to focus on and phase out smaller projects while keeping in mind the larger cycles that occur throughout our operations
• Motivated and comfortable asking for help when needed
• Experience in the performing arts, previous bike shops, knowledge of bike mechanics and tour guiding, although not required, is a plus
We take the pandemic seriously and have implemented the necessary precautions based on CDC guidelines to help keep our customers and staff safe.
For more information on Cycle Portland, see our website portlandbicycletours.com or visit our Facebook or Instagram page.
How to register
Email your resume, references, and intent paragraph to [email protected] with “Tour Guide Candidate” in the subject line.
As part of your resume, please include two current references and a brief paragraph explaining why you would be a good candidate for this position, as well as your weekday/weekend availability.
The start date and training of new staff is expected to take place in the first half of May.
We look forward to hearing from you!